My research interests are mainly on the magnetic and transport properties of some novel metal-organic coordination polymers. The study of these polymers is a very active topic in current interdisciplinary materials research. This is important not only because of its great potential for the discoveries of new functional materials, but also because it provides a large variety of new low dimensional systems for the fundamental magnetism research .
We have successfully characterized a number of new network structures that involve transition metal or rare earth elements in coordination with organic ligands and spacers. They exhibit very interesting properties arising from various magnetic interactions in 1D, 2D, or 3D nature. Furthermore, long range ferro- or antiferro-magnetic orderings with rather high critical temperature and high coercivity have been found in several of these systems. The experimental techniques used in our studies include X-ray diffraction , Mössbauer spectroscopy and measurements of magnetization, heat capacity, and electrical resistivity. The results are analyzed and interpreted using various theoretical models.
My other research interests include experimental investigations of highly correlated electronic systems including actinide/rare-earth intermetallic compounds and high Tc superconductivity related ceramic compounds.
32. Harry R. Heulings IV, Xiaoying Huang, Jing Li, Tan Yuen, and C. L. Lin, Mn Substituted Inorganic-Oganic Hybrid Materials Based on ZnSe: Nanostructures that May Lead to Magnetic Semiconductors with Strong Quantum Confinement Effect, Nano Letters 1 (10) 521-525 (2001).
33. M.-L. Tong, S.-L. Zheng, X.-M. Chen, T. Yuen, C. L. Lin, X.-Y. Huang, J. Li, A Three-Dimensional Honeycomb-Like Network Constructed with Novel One-Dimensional S-shaped Chains via Hydrogen Bonding and Interactions, New J. Chem. 25, 1482 (2001)
34. M. A. Lawandy, L. Pan, X. -Y. Huang, J. Li, T. Yuen, C. L. Lin, A New Three Dimensional Lanthanide Framework Constructed by Oxalate and 3,5-pyridinedicarboxylate, in Solid State Chemistry of Inorganic Materials III, ISBN: 1-55899-568-4, Vol 658, GG6.12 (2001)
35. Tan Yuen and Jing Li, Magnetic Properties of Molecular Based Magnets ML(bpy) [M = Fe, Co, Ni; L = C2O4, Cl2, (N3)2; bpy = 4,4'-bipyridine], National High Magnetic Field Laboratory 2001 Annual Report - Research, 29-30 (2001)
36. Tan Yuen, C. L. Lin, Aihua Fu, and Jing Li, Magnetic Properties of a Metal-Organic Network Fe(N3)2(4,4'-bpy), J. Appl. Phys. 91(10), 7385-7387 (2002)
37. C. L. Lin, Tan Yuen, P. Riseborough, X. Y. Huang, and Jing Li, Thermal and Magnetic Properties of a CeGe2, J. Appl. Phys. 91(10), 8117-8119 (2002
38. A. Fu, X. Y. Huang, Ji. Li, Tan Yuen, and C. L. Lin, Controlled Synthesis and Magnetic Properties of 2D and 3D Iron Azide Networks [Fe(N3)2(4,4'-bpy)] and [Fe(N3)2(4,4'-bpy)], Chem. Euro. J. 8, 2239 (2002)
39. Jun Tao, Yong Zhang, Ming-Ling Tong, Xiao-Ming Chen, Tan Yuen, C. L. Lin, Xiaoying Huang and Jing Li, A Mixed-Valence Copper Coordination Polymer Generated by Hydrothermal Metal/Ligand Redox Reactions, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Comm. 1342-1343 (2002)
40. C. L. Lin, J. A. Zan Tan Yuen and G. H. Myer, Electric, Thermal and Magnetic Properties of Hexagonal and Cubic UPtSn, J. Appl. Phys. 93(10), 7831-7833 (2003)
41. J. A. Zan, Tan Yuen, C. L. Lin, X. Y. Huang and Jing Li, Study of Magnetic Ordering States of CeGex with 1.66<x£2.0, J. Appl. Phys. 93(10), 8340-8342 (2003)
42. Tan Yuen, C. L. Lin, J. A. Zan, Long Pan and Jing Li, Magnetic Properties of a Metal-Organic Chain System [Co(bpdc)(H2O)2]×H2O (bpdc = biphenyldicarboxylate), J. Appl. Phys. 97(10B), 315 (2005)
43. Long Pan, Nancy Ching, Xiaoying Huang, Jeongyong Lee, Jing Li, Tan Yuen, C. L. Lin, and Jason Zan, The Effect of Terminal Ligands on the Dimensionality and Topology of Metal Dicarboxylate Coordination Structures, Proceedings of Materials Research Conference 2004, vol. 848, FF3.16 (2005)
44. Jing-Tang Li, Jun Tao, Rong-Bin Huang, Lan-Sun Zheng, Tan Yuen, C.L. Lin, Princy Varughese, and Jing Li, Three-dimensional Coordination Polymer Featuring Effective Ferrimagnetic Hydroxide Bridged Manganese(II) Chains, Inorg. Chem., 44, 4448-4450 (2005)
45. Xiaoying Huang, Harry R. Heulings IV, Jing Li, Tan Yuen, and C. L. Lin, Towards Dilute Magnetic Semiconductors: Fe and Co Substituted Inorganic-Organic Hybrid Materials Based on ZnSe, invited paper for a special issue of Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol. 5, 1487-1491 (2005)
46. C. L. Lin, Tan Yuen, J. A. Zan, and Jing Li, Thermal and magnetic properties of La doped Ce1-yLayGe1.80 with 0 < y < 1.0 to be published in J. Appl. Phys. 99, 1 (2006)
47. Tan Yuen, C. L. Lin, Long Pan, Xiaoying Huang, and Jing Li, Magnetic Properties of a Metal-organic Antiferromagnet Mn(hfipbb)py(H2O)0.5 to be published in J. Appl. Phys. 99, 1 (2006)